When I set out to create a program built around training high school 400m runners, I sent out a survey to ask coaches specifically what you want to know. Below is a video of me answering the first 10 of those questions. Below that is the question I posed. And below that are the specific questions I’m answering in today’s video. They are presented exactly as they are written. The only exception being I took out people’s names and locations.
“What do you want/need to see specifically addressed in a program built around coaching the high school 400m runner?”
1. the facilities in which athletes train
2. How to give 400m Training for High school students meet time
3. In trying to develop speed speed endurance, and special endurance during the short 12week season with mid week and Saturday meets, how do you get it all in?
4. Goodmorming Coach, My 400m runners also play basket ball here.We are a small school ,about 100 boys. I usually do not see him until the 2nd or 3rd week of March.This makes for an even shorter season for him.I tried Clyde Hart but it didnot work out.Best time in middle of May 53 or 54 seconds. I have him run the 200 and 4×2 during the week but only 400m and 4x400m on weekends. Short Season!
5. Specific traning of 100, 200, 400m race?
6. How to get out of shape runner ready for the first competition Saturday the quickest?
7. Should the 400m runner be training over distance intervals, for instance running repeat 600’s?
8. How much aerobic sessions are needed during general/ specific preparation periods even into pre- competition period? Also what weight training sessions are needed during these periods and what should one focus on?
9. What has the workout philosophy for the two weeks before the State Championship meet?
10. I had a girl finish 1st in the 400m at the State meet this year. I always seem like I’m battling shin splints and have to train gingerly to prevent or with them. Is this related to the quantity and quality of training periodized through the season?
– Latif Thomas